July 3, 2010

Air Conditioning

Anyone who knows me knows that I hate the cold and love summer. June is the best month of the year in Denver– the weather turns hot but everything is still green from the spring and afternoon storms. However, I have noticed a major problem with summer in Colorado. Coloradoans can’t take the heat. They have grown so used to the cold weather that they actually enjoy it. As soon as it gets over 80 degrees they start complaining about the blistering heat and how you can’t go outside. (Very similar to my attitude when the temperature dips below 60 degrees and it’s too cold to go outside). Consequently, Coloradoans deal with the “suffocating” heat of 80 degrees by cranking up the air conditioner so they can continue their miserable and freezing lives in sub 60 degree temperatures. As a result, I’m generally colder on average in summer than I am in the winter! What is wrong with these people? I only get 3 months a year of good warm summertime weather…don’t deprive me of that! It’s bad enough I have to spend the entire day in an office while I look out the window to a beautiful sunny 80 degree day only to leave work at 6 just in time for the temperature to drop down to 70 and rob me of my joy. Now I have to spend all day looking out the window at a beautiful sunny 80 degree day while I’m wearing a sweater in a freezing office trying to restore the feeling to my frozen fingers. I mean, we only get 3-4 months of good weather here! Lots of people praise Colorado for having 4 seasons, but lets not fool ourselves. For me, Winter is anytime there is the threat of snowfall. If it can snow, it’s winter. IT always snows in October and the last snow is always in May. That’s 8 fricken months of Winter. There are no 4 seasons here. There is winter and not winter. Sure, there are 3 weeks when the leaves change and it’s a slightly less miserable winter and there are a few weeks in April or May when it gets warm enough just to get your hopes up before 2 feet of snow gets dropped on your house again, but this is all still winter – just to a slightly less miserable disagree. So all I’m saying is: don’t ruin my 3 months of summer with your air conditioner. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. It;s getting hot in here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when you move to Arkansas, you'll roast...and that should make you VERY happy. :) And....it doesn't snow there.

    ReplyDelete