April 10, 2010

Princess Crap

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about my parenting philosophy. So far I only have one rule. No princess crap. As I began spending more time in the baby and girls section of stores, I quickly became aware of what appears to be an unhealthy obsession with princesses in our society. So much princess paraphernalia! It's not just Disney princesses either - random pink pillows with crowns on them, posters saying "I'm a princess", fake thrones, it goes on and on. I find this more disturbing than Barbie dolls. I suspect there are actually very few princesses in the world. I believe a princess by definition, is a direct descendent of a King or a Queen, of which there are very few of thee days. At the very least there can't be enough actual princesses running around Denver to justify the enormous amounts of princess gear that is being sold. And if you really were a princess, would you feel the need to advertise it to the world by wearing pink pants with a crown and the word "princess" on your butt?

Meanwhile, I have yet to see a single thing for sale for a boy claiming he is a prince. Why the unequailty? Why aren't boys raised with the same focus? Why don't we demand special treatment based on nothing other than our apparently royal nature? Fine, I'll open the car door for the little "princess" I am dating, but I expect her to bow to me every time I enter the room. Seems fair. I think this underlines a deep rooted problem in male and female relationships. Girls grow up thinking they are princesses. This implies a sense of entitlement. "Look at me, I am special just by being born"..."I am a princess therefore you are obligated to do what i say"..."I am a princess so give me what I want (demand)"..."being served on is my birthright"...I could go on. Little boys don’t' get this. We are given garbage trucks, toy cars, fake tools, and toy guns. So while girls are being groomed to be selfish and demanding, boys are being groomed to work and fight. And we wonder why we have problems?

Clearly, I don't believe everything I just wrote 100%, but enough for this to be made rule #1. No princess crap.

2 comments:

  1. I bowed to Alec today after he opened the door for me. He was really confused until he remembered your post and then laughing said thank you, he liked feeling a prince. :)

    ReplyDelete